Sometimes, losing the weight is the easy part of dieting. What can be more difficult is maintaining your goal weight and not letting old habits ruin all your hard work. Losing weight is different than keeping weight off, so it’s important to adjust your strategy. Consider the following tips as you reach your weight loss goals so you don’t slide back into old habits.
- Stop emotional eating. Many people deal with stress and emotional disturbances by turning to their favorite comfort foods. While a tasty treat may make you feel a bit better, food can’t solve emotional problems. This habit opens the door to neglecting the diet you’ve worked so hard to maintain.
- Check your weight daily. One day of poor eating can have a drastic effect on your metabolism, so keep regular tabs on your weight. If you notice the numbers start to climb above your goal weight, it’s time to think about what habits may have caused this backslide.
- Don’t let up on the exercise. Many people fall into the trap of scaling down their workout routines once they reach their goal weight. Even if you’re thrilled with your results and think a bit of relaxation is in order, one of the biggest factors in keeping lost weight off is consistency.
- Don’t go alone. Having a partner or friend join you in your weight loss journey can be a great way to establish accountability. You and your weight-loss buddy should keep one another in check. Offer support during difficult times when the chance of falling back into bad habits is highest.
- Eat breakfast. It’s called “the most important meal of the day” for a reason. Breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your day, and skipping breakfast often leads to binge-eating later in the day to make up for lost nutrition. Eating a balanced, nutrient-rich breakfast each day not only improves mood and energy levels, but it also keeps your metabolism in check.
- Stay hydrated. Most Americans go about their days dehydrated without realizing it. While some people find it difficult to hit the usual eight glasses per day, staying hydrated helps maintain all of the body’s systems.
- Do it for you. It may sound trite, but the greatest success in weight loss comes to those who believe they will succeed. Don’t get discouraged if you notice a slight backslide, but be certain to take immediate action before you fall deeper into old habits.
These are just a few of the ways you can maintain your weight after hitting your weight loss goals. As long as you stick to healthy eating and regular exercise, you’ll be able to keep the lost weight off for good.